Nyesha: Through ARC my life has been changed.

We continue to recognize the success of our past participants. Nyesha wanted to get into running and dreamed of being an active person who doesn’t exhibit comorbidities associated with poor health /lifestyle or early death. However, Nyesha experienced many barriers to running including: cultural, perceived ability/skill needed and financial.

Nyesha attempted to started running (14 minute pace) five years ago, but only ran for a few months. After success with a beginner 5K program, she joined another program (at a discounted fee) and was significantly behind the other participants. "I felt discouraged (as a slow jogging overweight African-American woman in a field of all slim fast-paced Non-Black runners) and after one/two visits discontinued running in general."

Nesha came to ARC "at 40 years old and 60-lbs heavier," but eager to get back to the pavement and a better lifestyle. She completed the program having made great strides towards her goals.

In Nyesha's words:
"ARC has helped me run consistently which has improved my physical and emotional health. I have had the goal to return to running, but I did not have the training and support necessary to accomplish it. I am older and heavier than when I ran previously, and I was concerned about injury. With my Running Coach and Physical Therapist's guidance, I have been able to exceed my previous pace and PR, while being healthy and without injury. This is empowering. I know that I can do hard things. This has been a transformative experience, and I am thankful to each of you for your assistance throughout. ARC is a wonderful program, and I benefited from everything. My life has been changed."

Although the program ended, Nyesha is also thankful that the ARC and running community remains. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Active|Resolute|Connected: Our Why

Announcing "Stride to Thrive."