ARC supports physical and mental health through running.

Every woman (regardless of shape, size, color, and ability) has a place in the running community because running enhances not only physical health but improves vital aspects of mental health. ARC supports participants through a team approach to wellness, which builds connection and encourages positive self-talk, encouraging women to learn to be kind to themselves, which empowers them in their own lives and in their ability to spread the love in their interactions with their family, friends and community.

This cohort of participants is finishing up their eight-week journey with ARC, which is unique in this space, as it includes four key components backed by research (online running coaching, virtual physical therapy, athlete mentorship and mindfulness training; nutrition guidance is also provided).

Our participants made great strides both physically and mentally through the program.  We are so proud of their accomplishments! Below is a feature story for you to enjoy.

Jasmine, Fresno, CA



Jasmine's story and goals

"I am a 35-year-old active mother with two boisterous sons, 17 and 10, who keep me on my toes. Being married to a high school head football coach who is a retired wide receiver from the NFL for the past 13 years has been the marathon of my life!!

By day, my role in multifamily and commercial real estate the past 16 years has been demanding, non-inclusive (I am one of the only Black female executives at our company) and stressful. My travel schedule weekly across the country (before COVID-19 restrictions) was enough to have me pull my hair out! I used to use exercise to cope, but as age kicked in, I became overloaded with responsibilities and my excuses were built up to the size of Mount Rushmore. I found myself starting, quitting, and starting again.

I eventually accepted my fate, thinking that fitness and running are for people who are stay-at-home moms or have a lot of time. My health declined and I gained weight."

Jasmine slowly began to make fitness a priority again starting in 2015, eventually applying to ARC for the following reasons:

"It's easy to get so caught up in work, being a mom, being a wife, and putting yourself last. I'm not where I want to be (and would like ARC to help me through Improved cardiovascular health, prevention of diabetes/improved glucose regulation and a boosted immune system). Also, given my life circumstances and being a survivor of suicide, I am incredibly conscious of taking care of my thoughts when alone (and I'm applying to ARC for the connection and support it offers paritipants in order to improve mental health as well).

Due to my geographical location and their not being diverse running groups in the Central Valley of California my experience with most running groups and the community in general as a Black woman was discouraging. Because of my top-heavy stature, race and cultural affiliation, I've been overlooked as a customer in running stores, made to feel unwelcomed at races and unsupported when inquiring 'how to start'. I definitely don't have the stereotypical 'runner look' that we see over celebrated and over promoted in running articles, shows and gear advertising. I have aspirations to run a full marathon in 2022 and I would like advice, techniques and coaching for that.

I also wanted to get involved with ARC to help me set an intentional, realistic goal of a grass-roots approach of awareness (of the benefits of running and the ARC community) for all women, I would connect with leaders, influencers, and the mental health community within my immediate network of friends, clients, business partners, and employees to set up education sessions similar to a road-show to speak about the program from a non-athletic standpoint first. In my experience, sometimes, when people hear 'running', they automatically disqualify or disassociate themselves from whatever is affiliated with it because of their own bias, assumptions about the community, and their ability and worth. It is sad. I know that to be true because, for YEARS, I was that woman.
How Running Has Changed Jasmine's Life: 1. I've grown internally, now I am more delicate with myself. 2. The space I give myself is now impeccable! Freeing myself from self-judgment, self-sabotage, and the need to be understood has been a relief. In moving my limbs with running, I focus on the purpose, not the pace. 3. I fully embrace failures, struggles, and my own voice. 4. While running, jogging, or going on a long walk, I can intentionally focus on what is happening outside of me, around me, and breathe. 5. I reject any name or reference that people project on me that is ANYTHING less than gifted, loving, whole, or ambitious. Running has made me appreciate how important it is to coach myself through situations, altercations, and miscommunications. When I'm running...I feel the freest. It's empowering. As someone familiar with anxiety, running has been the best relief.

Jasmine's biggest takeaway from the ARC Program

This experience has been huge for me mentally. The daily check-ins from my coach and mentor shed a light for me on how unkind I have been to myself. I’m naturally a cheer leader and it’s so easy for me to help others. This experience has showed me how to also extend that kindness to myself.

The mindfulness challenges resonated with me as a mother, wife and person. I realize that it's so important to take the time to slow down and be present in the moment I am in. This experience has pushed me to pay attention to myself. And I appreciate all of it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Announcing "Stride to Thrive."

Active|Resolute|Connected: Our Why

Injury Prevention for Runners