Participant Feature Stories: Schuronda, Montgomery, AL

Why ARC? I submitted my application for the program to gain confidence in running when even when I don’t often see women my age doing so. I want to try to get off of my hypertension medication. I want to be an inspiration to my daughters so they can see me losing weight to improve my health, but I have not had the financial means and I have also encountered other barriers to running including culture and pain. I am the only African-American woman that runs in my neighborhood, but people wave and encourage me though when they see me.


Goals for ARC: I would very much like to take my running to a new level. I am also hoping to have improved cardiovascular health, decreased blood pressure, improved sleep, improved stress management, weight management and reduced cholesterol.

How is is going? I feel stronger (both mentally and physically) and empowered through ARC because of the support from my Run Coach, India, and my Run Mentor, Avery.  Customized strength training and core exercises (designed just for me) by my coach India have made me stronger (I also was received an assessment and individualized plan from my physical therapist). This program is beneficial because of the awesome support from my coach and mentor. The three of us work in tandem to get the best results for me.  My goal is to run 2 miles non-stop and at this point it is attainable.  I look forward to weekly inspirational texts from my mentor that encourage me to “keep pressing on” one day at a time.  My coach inspires me by sharing run tips and suggestions during our weekly chats.  My coach and my mentor hold me accountable.  I am elated that I was selected as a participant of ARC and would most definitely recommend this program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Active|Resolute|Connected: Our Why

Announcing "Stride to Thrive."

Injury Prevention for Runners